Sunday, September 13, 2009

Yummy Mummy

A friend called me a "the yummiest mummy I know" on the weekend. I've never been called that before and although of course I was pleased by such a compliment, I didn't really like the term "yummy mummy". I just wanted to be a "yummy Maya". Just because I had a child, I didn't want to be defined as a mother. That was just a part of me but that was not who I was.

When I started my recent dance classes and everyone had to say something about themselves, one person said, "I'm a mother". That was all well and nice but I couldn't say that as my own introduction.

The same friend yelled to J as he was picking me up, "Your wife is hot!" Now that felt really good, especially when J shouted back, "I know!"

The smile on my face is hard to wipe now.

No comments: